Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Weekend

I am super pumped for this weekend because I get to eat Applebees.  My autistic brother is turning twenty-two we are celebrating his birthday there.  I was kind of worried though that my boss would not let me get off work since I working eighteen hours this weekend, but we made a deal so I was glad she said I could have two hours off.
So I made a poem about him last weekend and it goes like this....


                              Doug
He loves being outdoors shaking the trees,
in the woods during the night,   
because it reminds him of sawing them down.
In the distance,
he sees big fireworks falling from the sky,
monsters from outer space.
 My brother's ten tan fingers and two tan hands are bigger than mine.
He always puts his hands to work and play,
forever living hands that never stop exploring. 
Sometimes I get discouraged,
because he is so big
and there are so many of his dirty
fingerprints to see,
that he left on every wall, handle, drawer
and table tops.   
He really marked everything
he could possible think of.
But here is one that would not rub off;
He is leaving it just for me,
because he is thankful for a sister like me!
I see he is growing fast and changing,
the years will fly right by.
I wonder how he grew so quick-
Where, when and why?
Those big handprints will eventually disappear,
I can not bring back the past.
So here is a small reminder to us,
to keep not throw away,
so save this print in a safe place.
Here is a final handprint,
this reflection imprinted on the ground.
Just so we can recall,
and memories will come back,
of when we were small.

~I may be younger but I am mentally older than him.~






                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
                                                       
     
                                                                                                                          




2 comments:

  1. I thought that Poem was amazing. I think it truly takes a great person in order to love and take great pride in a family member with a disorder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your poem! It sometimes takes a lot of patience with an autistic person, but they are also very loving and caring individuals. I like to look at life as we all have disabilities, some are out in the open while most of ours are hidden and the world never knows. We all have some flaw wrong with us, that's how God made us all different.

    ReplyDelete