Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Final Exam Blog

         For those who are just starting college, it is a big step to take and a success just knowing you got your high school diploma.  Responsibility in college is not just getting your degree but the different paths you take, challenges/risks and the mistakes you learn from. Actually implying responsibility for your own learning can be challenging at times but hopefully in the long run, you would get your final goal:degree in whatever it maybe. Self-advocacy in college is a very good skill or tool to have because without that you would probably not make it and fail.  Everyone has their own was of learning but not everyone knows what you want or need help on.  Another skill to be responsible in college is asking others and recognizing what you need to overcome school work or a problem.  Students should be more responsible communicating their needs to others instead of relying and advocating to others.  I know this because I was the same way especially since I got extra help by people in high school everyday.  You do not get that in college all the time well at least not having professors coming up to you, "Do you need help"?  It is defiantly not like that.  You have to learn to speak up for yourself and be assertive to others.  It is not an always easy skill to accomplish control and responsibility but it is just apart of life.  I know when I first started college, I was going to prove people wrong by not needing any help and be confident in my work that I turn in or do on tests when really you may feel better getting the results that are necessary.  It is a good thing to take on throughout college as a student.  Just know yourself, know your wants and needs and how to get those.  College is the time to be independent, stand up for yourself, be responsible, take control and direction in your future.  Be responsible on your behalf by seeking others and be a problem solver (think outside the box) to be successful in college and after.  My favorite quote that reminded me of this assignment is by Emerson, "Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail."


No comments:

Post a Comment